As my love for vintages grows, and grows, and grows, there comes the time when my eighty-four-year-old grandma sends me home with something really special.


Vintage Textiles!

She dug out of her old vintage trunk a bundle of large bolts of antique homespun fabrics and gave it to me with no words, but a face of trust and satisfaction.





My hands touched these natural materials – cotton, linen, silk, grain sacks... The real ones. 
Blue and red stripes – with all the feel and look of the traditional European fabric. They have aged beautifully and I said to myself 
"It is a simple passage of time."







These pieces are hand woven with a manual horizontal loom by my grandma and her mother. They date from the period between 1920 and 1950. My mom's childhood is full of images with the craft of home weaving; unfortunately, she, herself, has never done it.





However,  my mom remembers that my grandma used sunshine as a whitener of the fabrics. After washing those cotton and linen sheets, granny rubbed the fabrics with a bar of sunlight soap and started the scrubbing with a hand brush. When the washing was over, she rinsed the fabrics once, wrung them by hand and finally hung them on a clothesline or lay them on the lawn to let the sunshine help whiten them.
Isn't it a green approach ?! 
I am wondering about how much humans and nature collaborate together to achieve a goal.





I am in love with the simplicity and the aesthetics of these plain, humble colors and materials.






I love the fact that these vintage fabrics have real-life pass before it.







Yes! We can make something old, but can we infuse it with a history?!!







Robert Kime wrote a foreword in Kathryn M. Ireland 's book "Classic Country": 

" It is a mistake to underestimate the significance of the relationships between humans and the fabrics that they make. There is very little that is not revealed about the geography, status, economy, and above all the identity of the maker or weaver of cloth; we are what wear and use cloth for. In modern, urban societies we have swapped natural or tribal costume for adherence to the commands of international fashion houses. But the need to own and wear texture, color, and pattern still results in the continuing reestablishment of our own identity. For those of us, who experiment with textiles, we are merely continuing to try and satisfy the urge to unify comfort, ornaments, pleasure, and beauty.

Nothing is more fulfilling for us than to try and continue this perpetual tradition ."






As you probably guess, I am extremely thankful for my grandmother's generosity.  
There is no better way to show my gratitude than using these wonderful fabrics in my home. 




I wish you a weekend full of beauty and sensibility.







I am linking with  Vintage Inspiration Friday

                Feathered Nest Friday 


          Home Sweet Home


          Farmhouse Friday


         Potpourri Friday