Digging way down deep into my roots... 
It is Holy Thursday and I am thinking of how...
my grandma would wake up early in the morning before the sun is rising. She would light the fire in the fireplace and boil water in the pot. She would gather freshly laid eggs from the coop and bring them in the house in her apron. 
Today is the day for dyeing Easter eggs, so grandma would paint the first egg red using onion skins. When children wake up, she would touch their cheeks with the first red Easter egg hoping that they will grow healthy and strong. Then, she might tell them the story of how "Mary Magdalene, the first to have seen Jesus after he had risen from the dead, went around the world to spread the word. She reached Rome and the palace of emperor Tiberius. Anyone visiting the emperor was expected to bring a present and Mary Magdalene brought an egg. She handed it to the emperor and said "Christ has risen from the dead." In disbelief, the emperor replied "How could anyone rise from the dead? It is as impossible as that white egg to turn red right now." While Tiberius spoke those words, the egg changed colour until it became bright red." 
Children might not necessarily remember this story, but they will know that Easter eggs are dyed red because that is the colour of Jesus's blood, they are a symbol of the renewal of life and they taste best during Easter time... On Easter Sunday, children will bring the eggs to be blessed at the church and will be cracked against each other in a game called good luck crack.  
Next thing my granny would do is to place this first egg in front of an icon leaving it there to guard the home from bad luck and evil spirits from entering...  
It is Holy Thursday and today she would also knead the dough for the Easter breads. Later, her hands would knit a wreath from fresh spring flowers because in the evening, she would dress in her special clothes and with the handmade wreath around her wrist, she will go to the church (to participate in Divine Liturgy and Holy Communion)... where she might stay until the sun rises... 

Digging way down deep into my soul...
It is Holy Thursday and while I am holding the warm red egg in my hand, I am thinking...
are the doors of my heart, my mind, my conscience, my life open enough, so that the faith can easily enter and settle there;
am I truly able to live simply and love with humility by serving others...







Sharing with Be InspiredHome Sweet HomeSeasonal Sundays